Last Update: 10/10/18
• ‘Iolani Alumni are uniting to better their communities at the
9th Annual 'Iolani Community Action Network (ICAN) “One Day, One Team”
global day of alumni service.
Register today to make a difference in your neighborhood!.
• Condolences and Deepest Sympathy to the Milton Soo Family ...
Posted On August 15th, 2018 - Honolulu Star-Advertiser Obituaries
Age 78, of Honolulu, passed away on August 8, 2018 in Honolulu. She was born on August 30, 1939 in Honolulu. She is survived by her husband, Milton Soo; son, Gregory (Mijung) Jay; daughter, Lisa Jay; brother, David Yee; grandchild, Jay Spendlove. Visitation from 9:30am on Saturday, August 18, 2018 at Star of the Sea's Church. Mass at 10:30am. Arrangements Provided By: Nuuanu Memorial Park & Mortuary LLC.
• Congratulations to John Ishikawa on finishing ANOTHER Marathon. This time in Diluth, MN. Wow!
• Eddie Onouye writes:
... “Hey Colin, if you look at the attached article, you can see what I’ve been spending my time on for the past 9 years. Do you think any of the classmates might be interested in checking out our presentation to help their kids learn what we do so that they can pay off mortgage debt or car loans faster thank normal. Let me know your thoughts...”
Eddie asks, if you’re interested, contact him directly: (808) 295-5000
• Check out the March 28th issue of Honolulu Star Advertiser for an excellent article on Lucille & Kenneal Chun (‘62) ...
• Check out the March issue of Honolulu Magazine for a very nice article on Robynne Mai’i ‘02), daughter of Jenny and Alan Mai’i (‘62) ...
• Don’t forget the Iolani Family Fair ... April 20-21. Our Class work shift is Saturday, April 21st, 10:30 am-4:30 pm. Stop by the Student Center and visit with the guys. Better yet, contact Walter Muraoka <firstname.lastname@example.org> to LHK when you will be there to Pick Up your free T-shirt.
• E-mail from Walt Muraoka:
“...Last Friday, February 2, I attended a dinner at the Waialae Country Club that the school held to honor Eddie Hamada. It was a fund raiser for a statue that will be created in Mr. Hamada's image as well as a scholarship. The statue will be placed on Hamada Field.
I was hoping to see some classmates, but to my dismay, none were there. I did see, however, Vince Goshi and Ken Okimoto's names in the program as donors.
If I recall, those two plus the following played football under Coach Hamada from our class:
Steve Shibuya, Clifford Tokumaru, Dennis Brewster, Urban Nishiki, Dwight Kealoha, Art Koga, Billy Thomas, Lee Longacre, Mark Hanna and me. If I miss someone's name, please forgive me.
There were several speakers who talked about how Mr. Hamada touched or influenced their lives, how he invoked the "One Team" spirit.
Surprisingly, I didn't see anyone from Class of '61, like Milton Oshiro, Jimmy Miyashiro, Miles Ono. They may have been there but ....
Didn't see Class of '63 guys like Earl Hedani...Dick Kenney, Dickie Yokogawa, Walter Nagasako are gone, Lawson Wakuzawa lives on the mainland, Norman Chun is on Maui.
Ephraim Ho (someone told me was a cop in LA)
It was a very nice event.
Other happenings: some of the old apartment buildings between Date and Laau Street are demolished. The school will putting up a dormitory for international students.
Aloha to all
Sent from my iPad ...” 2/7/18
• Check out the current Iolani Bulletin - Fall/Winter 2017.
• Campus Expansion:
• Roland Chun is back on the golf course (with wife, Janis), after traveling and taking care of cataract surgery.
• Still on “leave”: Walter Muraoka, Dave Shiraishi, Jimmy Hayakawa, Rodney Asada, Alan Maii, Get well soon, guys!
• Congratulations to John Ishikawa for finishing ANOTHER marathon race. That’s over 35 marathons, and still counting. The latest being the Honolulu Marathon this past weekend.
• Have A Great Thanksgiving & Happy Holidays To All!
• Much Mahalos to John Ishikawa for renewing our subscription for this website.
• Interested in Aquaponics? Grow your own vegetables and herbs at home. Contact Kenneal Chun.
• Congratulations to Walter Muraoka on his marriage (Tamami) Dec 2016
• Check out the current Iolani Bulletin - Fall 2016. Congratulations to Walter Muraoka.
• Remember Miss (Sally) Akers? ... Check out her profile on this website
• Ever thought about learning to play the Ukulele? ... Dennis (Atlas) Ching, Retired from DOE-Hawaii and now teaches beginning Ukulele at The First Chinese Church on King Street, every Friday morning. No experience necessary..
• Interested in learning Tai Chi? ... Retired Dr.Kenneal Chun, ENT, teaches at Kilauea Park in Kaimuki along with his wife Lucille. < http://www.everydaytaichi.org/>
•Interested in orchids? ... Contact Alan Maii, Treasurer, Kaimuki Orchid Society <http://www.kaimukiorchidsociety.org/Documents/KOS%20August%20%202016%20Newsletter.pdf>
• There several avenues of communicating with Iolani Alumni:
1. <ClassNotes@iolani.org> ... Address your communique to this address, if you wish to communicate with Friends & Family of Iolani School. Your information will be published under Class Notes-1962 of the Iolani Bulletin, which is published three times a year,
2. <http://www.iolaniclassof62.com/> ... Go to this website to post your information. Only registered Users associated with the Class of 1962 will be able to view your posts. This website has been provided through the generosity of John Ishikawa, Leighton Liu and Miles Kawatachi.
3. <Colin.Leong@me.com> ... Send any/all information to this address. Your information will be distributed via be a list of 1962 Classmates with current email addresses.